الدرس السابق ⇚
COLLOCATIONS (ADJECTIVES + NOUNS)
A. Match the adjectives 1-8 with the nouns a-h
to form common collocations. Some adjectives
collocate with more than one noun.
1. common ( )
2. mental ( )
3. strong ( )
4. vivid ( )
5. lasting ( )
6. stimulating ( )
7. wide ( )
8. burning ( )
B. Complete the sentences with collocations from the previous exercise.
1. My first teacher made a on me.
2. Our facilities offer a of activities from hiking to swimming with sharks.
3. Mustafa has a to succeed as a writer.
4. Many people believe that certain colours can create ain a room.
5. Some years ago, people used to rely on IQ tests to estimate their .
6. Teachers usually have a on their students.
7. Dylan has such a that sometimes I wonder where he gets his ideas from!
8. It’s only that you don’t leave the lights on when you’re not at home.
B. Complete the second sentence so that it has a similar meaning to the first, using the word given. Do not change
the word given. You must use between two and five words including the word given.
1. ‘Are you working today, Peter?’ he asked. whether
He wanted to know d ay.
2. ‘Don’t smoke in the shop,’ the shop owner said to Mark. forbade
The shop owner in the shop.
3. ‘I rang you last night, John,’ said Brian. rung
Brian explained to John that he night.
4. ‘Why don’t we go to the library to study?’ he asked me. should
He t o the library to study.
5. ‘You’d better not swim too far from the shore,’ the lifeguard said to us. advised
The lifeguard too far from the shore.
6. ‘I have been standing in this queue for two hours!’ said the man. complained
The man queue for two hours.
7. ‘I’m sorry that I woke you up this morning, Harry,’ said Tom. him
Tom apologised to Harry that morning.
8. ‘Henry broke the window,’ said Steve. breaking
Steve the window.
عوده لفهرس مفردات ترافلر 6 ⇐ Vocabulary Lesson