الدرس السابق ⇚
A. The sentence below has been taken from the
listening activity. Read it and choose the correct
meaning of the idiom in bold.
1. My wife is very interested in ancient gypt and when
she discovered we would be visiting the alley of the
ings, she was over the moon.
a. absolutely delighted b. totally disinterested
B. Match the idioms in bold in the two groups of
sentences 1-10 with the corresponding feelings/
emotions in the boxes.
depressed- exasperation- fear - showing no sympathy -shame/embarrassment
1. I wouldn’t be caught dead wearing a hat like that.
2. enry woke up late, got a flat tyre on the way to work
and spilt coffee on his shirt during lunch. etting
stuck in the lift when he was leaving the office was
the last straw
3. whole month of cloudy skies and rainy weather has
been making me feel down in the dumps.
4. It was a cold, stormy night with endless peals of
thunder and bright streaks of lightning at one point
the wind blew the window open and I nearly jumped
out of my skin.
5. ont epect Mrs vans to feel sorry for you because
you had the flu and couldnt finish your proect on
time. hes hard as nails.
annoyance - fright/horror
happy because something wonderful happened
to cause a feeling of great anger
6. mina has been on cloud nine ever since she won the
7. It makes my blood boil to see people treat animals
with such cruelty.
8. Whenever I go out, my mother wants to know every
single detail about where Im going, who Im going
with and how long Ill be out for, and it really drives
me up the wall.
9. asir has been walking on air ever since he got the
scholarship to the ondon chool of conomics.
10. The sound of the wolves howling in the distance sent
chills down my spine.
B. Choose the word or phrase which most appropriately completes the sentence.
1. The university was famous for the o f its students, who were from all over the world and from very different
a. diversity b. wealth c. resources d. fluency
2. s the plane approached the airport, the flight i nstructed the passengers to fasten their seat belts.
a. pilot b. attendant c. agent d. assistant
3. The teacher a t the students at the back of the class who wouldnt stop talking.
a. peered b. glared c. gaed d. glimpsed
4. fter work yesterday, we had dinner at inos restaurant as it was w alking distance of our office.
a. under b. in c. at d. within
5. ussein and his family prefer to stay in large hotels that offer a variety of modern f or all the family to
a. amenities b. destinations c. resorts d. views
6. t the company, staff are f or sick pay after having worked for at least three months.
a. allowed b. reserved c. able d. eligible
7. When going to a ob interview, it is important to take care of your , as first impressions count.
a. reference b. appearance c. finances d. description
8. aris is one of the most popular tourist destinations due to the many tourist i t offers to visitors.
a. attractions b. appearances c. palaces d. resorts
عوده لفهرس مفردات ترافلر 6 ⇐ Vocabulary Lesson