Many nouns ending in -er, -or, -ist and -ian are commonly used to describe occupations.
A. Use the words in the box to form nouns describing occupations and put them in the correct column in the table.
mathematics - direct - report - produce - instruct - produce - politics - science - art - type - electricity- operate
B. Use some of the words from the table above to complete the sentences.
1. He won the scientist of the Year Award for his research in biogenetics.
2. I need to call the electricitan because the air conditioner has stopped working.
3. Karen is a great typist; she can do over 60 words per minute.
4. Mr Crawford is the managing director of a large multi-national company.
5. I tried to talk to the hotel manager on the phone several times, but the operator didn’t put me through.