الدرس السابق ⇚
2. VERBS DESCRIBING MOVEMENT AND SIGHT
A. Read through the sentences below carefully and decide
whether the verbs in bold describe movement or sight.
1. s I was trying to get to my seat, I stumbled over
somebodys hand luggage in the aisle and hit my head.
2. The old man peered intently at the departures board
trying to make out the information on it.
3. The customs officer glared at the man who had neglected
to declare the two laptops he had in his suitcase.
4. s I was going through passport control, I glimpsed
an old acuaintance but lost sight of him as he
disappeared into the crowd.
5. s I headed for the information desk, a security guard
came hurtling past in hot pursuit of a suspicious
6. The flight attendant lurched forward as the aeroplane
encountered turbulence and lost altitude abruptly.
7. The immigration officer glanced at his watch
impatiently as I fumbled in my bag to find my passport
8. aving nothing to do but wait, I sat in the departure
lounge gazing into the distance.
B. Now match the verbs in bold with their definition.
a. to move uickly and violently ( )
b. to look at someone angrily ( )
c. to look at somethingsomebody intently because you cannot see itthem well ( )
d. to catch sight of something or somebody momentarily ( )
e. to make a sudden uncontrolled movement forward ( )
f. to trip over something and lose your balance ( )
g. to look steadily at something without perceiving it ( )
h. to look at something or somebody uickly and then look away again ( )
عوده لفهرس مفردات ترافلر 6 ⇐ Vocabulary Lesson